Too much digital screen time can take its toll on your eyes. Your eyes can feel dry and tired, and your vision becomes blurry by the end of the day. Whether you’re looking at your smartphone, tablet, computer or other screens, you can take some steps to prevent or reduce eyestrain. Read on for some tips to make screen time easier on your eyes.
- If your eyes feel dry, use artificial tears as directed to relieve your eyes and prevent dry eyes. It’s a good idea to use them even when your eyes feel fine to keep them well-lubricated. Ask your doctor for recommendations on over-the-counter or prescription eye drops.
- When working at a computer, people often blink less than usual. Blinking produces tears that will lubricate and refresh your eyes.
- Adjust the lighting depending on screen use. Your device should not be brighter than your surroundings. If you’re watching TV, you may want to keep the room softly lit to reduce strain on your eyes. If you’re reading, position the light source behind you so it’s directly on your page in front of you.
- Dry, moving air can strain your eyes. Avoid smoking or being around smoke. Put a humidifier in the room where you use your devices most often. Adjust the thermostat to reduce blowing air.
- Position your screen computer monitor about 25 inches away from your face so the screen is at or below eye level. Adjust the contrast and brightness screen settings to a comfortable level. Reduce the color temperate of the screen so it gives off less blue light, which contributes to eyestrain. Also enlarge the text on screen so it’s easier to read.
- Take a visual break every 20 minutes by looking at an object at least 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. You may want to take longer breaks if you are spending two or more hours on your devices.
- If you wear contacts, wear your glasses to give your eyes a break.
- Make sure you are getting regular eye exams. There are glasses and contact lenses designed specifically for computer work. If your vision has changed, you may need a new prescription. And regular eye exams help to diagnose eye conditions and diseases at their earliest stages when they are most treatable.
Regular eye exams are crucial to keeping your eyes healthy. Call (800) 676-5050 to set up an appointment with Eye & Lasik Center at one of our several locations.