Aging brings changes to your body and to your eyes. Perhaps you worry about your eyesight and needing reading glasses or future cataract surgery, driving at night or possibly macular degeneration or glaucoma. Protecting and caring for your aging eyes and maintaining strong eye health begins with the food on your plate.
It’s common knowledge that carrots and other orange-colored vegetables and fruits contain beta-carotene, a type of Vitamin A that gives these foods their orange color and may help keep age-related vision problems at bay. But even though your mom told you they were good for your eyes, protecting your eyesight doesn’t end with carrots. Several other vitamins and minerals are essential for healthy eyes. Among these are: Omega-2 fatty acids, Zinc, Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Vitamins C and E.
Including these eye-healthy foods in your daily diet will benefit your body and your eyes:
- Citrus fruits and berries are packed with Vitamin C which has been shown to reduce the risk of developing cataracts.
- Eggs, especially the yolks, are an excellent source of lutein and zinc, additional armor against macular degeneration.
- Leafy, green vegetables such as spinach, collard greens and kale are packed with the antioxidants Zeaxanthin and Lutein, which may lower the risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration. If they aren’t your favorites, try them in a green smoothie.
- Legumes such as lentils and kidney beans are good sources of Zinc which helps protect the retina.
- Tuna, Salmon or other fatty fish are rich in DHA, a fatty acid found in the retina. Low levels of DHA have been linked to dry eye syndrome.
- Whole grains are great for your heart and for your eyes. A diet which contains foods with a low glycemic index can help reduce your risk for age-related macular degeneration. Swap refined carbohydrates for brown rice, quinoa and whole-wheat breads and pasta.
- Last but not least, grab some almonds. One handful provides one-half of your daily dose of Vitamin E.
Make an appointment at The Eye & Lasik Center, today and let us help you stay on top of your vision needs: 888.304.4895.