Just because you’ve worn glasses or contact lenses for years, it doesn’t mean you will be wearing them for life. If you’ve considered LASIK surgery to correct our vision, here are five questions you should ask your surgeon to see if surgery is right for you:
- What does LASIK surgery correct?LASIK can correct nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism. Nearsightedness is when you see nearby objects clearly but objects in the distance are blurry. Farsightedness is when you see far objects clearly, but close objects are blurry. Astigmatism causes overall blurry vision.
- What is LASIK surgery?Laser-Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is the most common method for laser vision correction. During LASIK surgery, the surgeon uses a special type of cutting laser to creates a flap in the cornea and then raises it up before reshaping the cornea. After reshaping, the surgeon lays the flap back into place, which should heal without stitches.
- Am I a good candidate for LASIK surgery? You should do well with Lasik if you are between the ages of 20 and 55, have nearsightedness up to about -9.00 with or without astigmatism up to about -5.00, have corneas of normal thickness and curvature, do not have keratoconus or some other corneal pathology, and are in generally good medical health. During your free consultation, the doctor will perform several measurements to determine if this vision correction is right for you.
- What’s the likelihood I will have 20/20 vision after surgery? 20/20 vision means that you see at 20 feet what a person with normal vision also sees at 20 feet. After LASIK, most patients see as well as they did with glasses or contacts – and some see even better.
- Where will surgery be performed? Your comfort with any surgical procedure is imperative. The state-of-the-art surgical facility at Eye & Lasik Center was designed specifically to provide the best in laser vision correction in a comfortable environment.
If you are tired of wearing glasses or contacts, LASIK surgery may be right for you. Contact Eye & Lasik Center today by calling (800) 676-5050 to set a personal consultation at one of our several locations.